Safety is always an important issue. There are times when we operate some distance from rescue resources and/or in open waters. Accordingly we have developed a comprehensive Operations Manual which specifies how we operate according to varying locations and conditions. Members are also expected to complete a Self Assessment Safety Form each year. We also typically run capsize practice session each year.
Forms and Manuals
- OGA of WA Operations Manual (v3.0 November 2022)
- C Fleet Self Assessment Form
- Australian Sailing Cat 6 Assessment Form (Version 1.3 8th June 2022)
- Australian Sailing Cat 7 Assessment Form (Version 1.2 7th March 2022)
- Australian Sailing Off the Beach Sailing Assessment Form (Version 1.2 7th March 2022)
- Source page for all of Australian Sailing’s Equipment Auditing Forms
- Inflatable Lifejacket Inspection Form – general guide to be used in conjunction with your jacket’s manual.
- RNLI Guide to Lifejackets and Buoyancy Aids
Reports from Practice Days and Incidents
- Capsize and MOB Practice Session – 3rd February 2019. Read Jim Black’s report with contributions by attendees here. Slideshows of photos taken on the day are here.
- Jim Black’s report on the lessons learned at the OGA Safety Day – Feb 2020. See here.
- Jim Black’s compilation of the lessons learned from the capsizes at Walpole 2020. See here.
- Peter Kovesi’s thoughts on safety on Whimbrel here.
- Lessons learned from capsize during Retro race in November 2022 here.