Bruce Anderson, Hobart
Club sail number
LOA and Beam
Keel/Centreboard and draft
William Hand Junior (USA), 1899, published in The Rudder magazine; design slightly modified by Alf Bloor (Hobart) in 1906 to suit the Derwent, TAS and to create a One Design Class.
Tasmanian One Design
Charles Lucas, Tasmania
Build location and year
Battery Point, Tasmania. Launched Nov 1st 1912
Gaff rigged sloop
Main 49.2 sq m, Original sail plan for No 1 jib 13.4 sq m
Huon Pine carvel planked; Spotted Gum ribs; Cabin top in Celery Top Pine.
Electric motor: Thoosa 7000HT (7kW) incorporating a Lynch LMC motor, distributed by ASMO Marine; 4x 120Ah AGM batteries; 48V system; 3-blade 15 inch stainless steel folding prop by Seahawk Pty Ltd; 30A AMC charger; TPM 400 Motor Controller (48V) and Link 10 Battery Monitor.
This presentation (to come) covers key historical facts and details of the 2009-2010 restoration in Fremantle WA.
Key modifications during the restoration and subsequent to the restoration include:
- The addition of a 3rd set of shrouds, to spread the deck load.
- Substantial stiffening of the keelson, to withstand the stronger winds regularly encountered in Perth WA.
- Lengthening the bowsprit by 700mm to increase the jib, coupled with a reduction of the 8.0m long boom by 600mm to reduce the mainsail area, and thereby better balance the boat.
Canobie was trucked across the Nullarbor in January 2017 and exhibited in the 2017 Australian Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart, TAS. She was returned by truck to Perth later in February 2017. See the June 2017 Newsletter for an account of this trip.
Canobie is registered on the Australian Register of Historic Vessels, ARHV Number 336.